Assignment due 11/11 (Wed) by the end of the day: Project Critique 3
Assignment due on 11/16 (Mon) by the end of the day: Final Project Proposal
This class day will be devoted to our third and final in-class project. We will return to The Crisis, but experiment with both image and network analysis. In the first half of class, we will use the dataset we cleaned in the Open Refine workshop the previous week to analyze the community of authors, artists, and editors during the early years of The Crisis. We will then demonstrate Imageplot as a tool using the Crisis dataset as a whole, and then split into groups to analyze different subsets of the dataset.
At the end of class, we will imagine different research questions we could explore using these methods. Each student will write a blog post on the course website presenting their research question, a visualization they created, and analyzing their results. Post a link to your blog post in the class Mattermost by 5pm on Monday, November 16. By Wednesday, November 18 at 5pm, provide feedback and comments on 3 of your classmates’ blog posts in the #class-discussion channel in Mattermost by replying to their blog post link as a threaded comment.
Aims of The Crisis Beyond Text Project:
- Structured data
- Image analysis as a method
- Network analysis as method
- Flourish and Databasic as tool
- Imageplot as tool
- Revisit The Crisis on the Modernist Journals Project
- Try out the different viewing options
- Choose one or two issues (other than the ones you read for the previous project)
- What types of writing/materials are in the issues?
- Editorial, poetry, ads, etc?
- How are the issues structured?
- Lots of text? Lots of images? Like a magazine? Like a newspaper?
- Download imageJ and Imageplot – click on the green Code button toward the right of the screen and then “download zip”
- Download the Crisis image and dataset from Google Drive
- Look through/watch walkthrough of network analysis software
- Look through/watch walkthrough of imageplot [coming soon]
- Look at Data, Kieran Healy, Data visualization: A practical introduction, 2018
- Claude McKay: New Site, Expanded Project (with Network Diagrams), Amardeep Singh, 2016
- Networks – either read blog posts OR watch video explaining networks
- Distant Viewing: Analyzing Large Visual Corpora, Lauren Tilton and Taylor Arnold, 2018
Projects to explore
- Claude McKay’s Early Poetry (1911-1922): A Digital Collection, Amardeep Singh
- Robots Reading Vogue, Yale University
To do after class
- Post link to blog post in course Mattermost by 5pm on Monday, November 16
- By Wednesday, November 18 at 5pm, provide feedback and comments on 3 of your classmates’ blog posts in the #class-discussion channel in Mattermost by replying to their blog post link as a threaded comment